To help eliminate the language barrier between foreign residents at schools, childcare facilities, ward offices, etc., we dispatch a volunteer interpreter who have been given a certain amount training. In principle, these interpreters are sent out to city-related facilities in Sapporo such as schools, daycare centers, and facilities dealing with maternal and child health in child care related fields for free.
This service is available for:
- Discussions at schools, childcare facilities, etc.
- Orientation and procedures before admission to schools or daycare centers
- Public nurse home visits (infant check-ups)
- Infant health examinations
- Application for entering nursery school, preliminary visits of desired childcare centers before applying
- Procedures for pregnancy and childbirth etc. at ward offices
This service is not available for:
- Events, seminars, briefing sessions, etc.
- Medical interpretation at hospitals and other institutions
- Judicial interpretation at police stations, courts, and lawyers' offices
- Exams at school, learning support, use as a chaperone, non-interpretation related requests
Available date and time
(Generally) Monday to Friday 9: 00-17: 30
For other dates and times, please contact us.
English/Chinese/Thai/Russian/Vietnamese ⇔ Japanese
* Interpreters are not currently available for other languages, but we are working to find volunteers for more languages.
How to use the service:
Please contact the SICPF first to consult with us.
We will consider the time schedule(s) and type of interpretation and decide whether it is possible to dispatch an interpreter.
Typical clients include administrative agencies, schools, and the like. If a client is a foreign resident, the SICPF will contact each relevant institution and ask them to submit the "Dispatch Request Form (Form 1)".
※When requestion services for preliminary daycare center visits before applying for daycare, the foreign resident will be required to submit a request form.
If you need to contact the interpreter in advance, please do so through SICPF.
★Day of ★ As a general rule, interpretation should be no longer than two hours.
A SICPF staff may accompany the interpreter to help facilitate the interpretation service.
Please submit "Post-Use Questionnaire (Form 2)" to SICPF within 14 days after using the service.
This system is managed as a supplementary project in Sapporo City, and SICPF will provide transportation expenses for interpreters.
There is no expense for the clients.
- Please feel free to contact us first.
- International Community Bureau, Sapporo Community Interpreter Section
TEL: 011-211-2105 FAX: 011-232-3833
- Flyer for administrative
organizations such as schools ·
- Dispatch Request Form (Form 1)
- Post-Use Questionnaire (Form 2)
- Flyers for foreigners
(Japanese / English)
- Flyers for foreigners
(Japanese / Chinese)
- Request form for accom+C2:C26panyment to childcare facilities (for foreigners)
- Adobe Reader is required to view the file.
If you do not have it, you can download it here.